commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <dennis.lundb...@mdh.se>
Subject Re: commons-email problems
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:06:02 GMT
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 23:54 +0200, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>
>>Sam Gendler wrote:
>>
>>>Actually, clicking on that link ust provides a link to an HTML view of
>>>the source repository.  It doesn't include any instructions for
>>>actually accessing the source repository, nor do any of the docs
>>>within the souce repository.  That's why I wound up using wget to get
>>>the source so I could build it.
>>
>>Yes that's right. Do you need info on *how* to download the source code
>>for the project, in addition to *where* to download it?
>>
>>If that is the case then we have these two pages:
>>   http://jakarta.apache.org/site/cvsindex.html
>>   http://www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html
>>
>>Perhaps we should add a link to one or both of these pages to the
>>commons site navigation template? Questions on how to download the
>>source from version control pops up every now and then, especially for
>>products that have not yet had a release.
>

> +1
>
> dennis: could you contribute a patch?

I had a look at this and was puzzled for a while. Looking at the
commons-logging site there is a link to
   http://jakarta.apache.org/site/cvsindex.html
under "Jakarta Community" in the menu. But when I tried building it with
Maven I didn't get the menu item.

It turns out that skitching removed that menu item from commons-build at
2005-05-23 (revision #172281). The commit message was
   "Remove link to jakarta repository info in jakarta community navbar
    section. This information is too generic for commons users; the links
    available from the commons site are more useful/targetted."

Should we put it back again?

As for actually checking stuff out of the source repository I think the
Apache page is more informative. There is a link to that page from the
Jakarta page (http://jakarta.apache.org/site/cvsindex.html). So perhaps
one link is enough?

--
Dennis Lundberg