commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk Verbeeck <dirk.verbe...@pandora.be>
Subject Re: Incubating the Sandbox
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2005 06:31:26 GMT
-0 in moving sandbox to incubator

For me sandbox and incubator have 2 different purposes.

Incubator: Bring *external* code & people into ASF, resolving license
issues and allowing new people to learn the ASF way of doing things.

Sandbox: New and experimental code from existing and *trusted* ASF
committers who want to build a new community / gather support for a new
component.

It might be an idea to promote the commons sandbox to a higher level
(jakarta or even ASF) but IMHO a sandbox is different from an incubator.
But keeping the (sandbox) code close to its final destination
(commons-proper) also has advantages.

-- Dirk