commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject Re: [net] FTP sends incorrect type for EBCDIC
Date Sat, 16 Jul 2005 22:55:31 GMT

In message <db6aam$mg2$1@sea.gmane.org>, Niklas Gustavsson writes:
>When issuing ftp.type(FTP.EBCDIC_FILE_TYPE), FTP will send "TYPE B".
>This is not correct according to RFC 959 where the EBCDIC type is
>specified as "E".

I'm pretty sure sending B is intentional since we do not perform automatic
translaton between EBCDIC and ASCII.  Therefore, EBCDIC is treated as a
binary file not subject to the automatic translation required by the FTP
spec.  It's probably not useful to make a change unless the character
translation is implemented.  However, I'm speaking purely from memory and
not from revisiting the code and RFC.

daniel