commons-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Jakarta-commons Wiki] Update of "Logging/FrequentlyAskedQuestions" by BrianStansberry
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2005 06:19:37 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by BrianStansberry:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/Logging/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

The comment on the change is:
Add discussion of JCL in JBoss 4.0.2

  (With thanks to David Karlsen for this information)

  For more information see http://mail-archives.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=commons-user@jakarta.apache.org&msgNo=5737
+
+ == How Can I Use Commons-Logging In JBoss 4.0.2? ==
+
+ {{{
+ I'm using JBoss 4.0.2. Commons-Logging doesn't seem to recognize the commons-logging.properties
file in my WAR. Help!
+ }}}
+
+ Some JBoss services use commons-logging, so it's on the server classpath. Copies of commons-logging
loaded from a webapp's WEB-INF/lib folder were causing type conflicts with the version on
the server classpath, so beginning with version 4.0.2 JBoss disables loading commons-logging
from a WAR.  This has the side effect of preventing commons-logging from accessing logging
libraries that are placed in the WEB-INF/lib folder.
+
+ Fortunately, there is an easy fix:
+
+ {{{
+ Place your logging library jar (e.g. avalon-framework.jar) in JBoss' server/.../lib folder
(where "..." is "all" or "default" or a custom configuration you use).
+ }}}
+
+ This places your logging library on the server classpath, where the copy of commons-logging
used by JBoss can see it.  The downside to this is your logging library is no longer hot-deployable,
so upgrading it will require a server restart.

  == How can I close loggers when using Commons-Logging? ==