commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: Incubating the Sandbox
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2005 21:42:45 GMT
On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 07:32 +0200, Torsten Curdt wrote:
> <snip/>
>
> > Thoughts?

<snip>

> I think what we require is some process.

+1

IMHO this would be a good idea regardless

>   o How to handle dormant sandbox projects?

subversion does cheap copies, so why not use them?

the only downside to having all those components hanging around is that
it takes so long to check out the sandbox. it should be very easy to
move dormant components into a separate top level directory
(commons/dormant). if necessary, we could lock it down but i think
social convention should be sufficient.

this way would make it very easy to move a component back into the
sandbox if it came alive again.

>   o What is the definition of dormant?

perhaps: one that is no longer under actively developed and which no
active committers are willing to support. (yes, i know this is a little
circular ;)

one suggestion (made elsewhere) was that any component that has not been
worked on for 6 months would be a candidate. a poll could be conducted
(every six months, say) asking whether there is any interest in each
candidate component. any which no one speaks up for would be declared
dormant.

>   o How to handle code donations to jakarta
>     (commons)

+1

this definitely needs discussion with the incubator. it's likely new
paths will need to be developed for the small components of interest to
the commons.

> Not sure whether passing all this
> on to the incubator really will make
> things that much better ...or easier

i am a little concerned that the incubator requires a member to sponsor
each project. for code that comes from other apache projects, this seems
like quite a high barrier.

but we should definitely talk to the incubator folks about these
issues...

- robert