commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [logging] changes to build.xml
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2005 21:20:34 GMT
On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 13:27 +1200, Simon Kitching wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 22:17 +0100, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 22:00 +1200, Simon Kitching wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> >
> > hi simon
> >
> > > As there has been no feedback on the PathableTestSuite stuff I recently
> > > committed I presume it's all acceptable so I'm pressing on with related
> > > changes.
> >
> > sorry about that :-/
> >
> > (got very wrapped up exchanging emails with MEPs about the european
> > software patent vote that's due tomorrow.)
>
> Go Robert! (and anyone else actively involved in campaigning against the
> patents). I'm not in the EU so I don't have an MEP to hassle but I've
> got my fingers crossed....

i'm represented by six MEPs altogether and each one very different :)

not sure that trying to hassle them, just trying to explain what it is i
(and millions of other software developers) do and convince them about
the potential for harm.

the result today was just another battle in a bigger war. no one's
really sure what will happen next. the current situation is a complete
mess and it's only the commission's obstinacy that has prevented this
being addressed. really, blocking the proposal (though not a victory)
was probably the best that could be achieved given the commission's
resolve to block harmonisation without software patents. perhaps when
the current commissioners terms end, the next commission will take a
more positive view.

> > don't wait but i hope to be able to review the changes in the next day
> > or two...
>
> That would be cool. I'll try not to do anything too radical in the next
> few days :-)

there's no need to stop on my account: subversion is transactional and
so i should be able to step through each (if that's necessary). so long
as they have good comments on the commits, it should be fine.

BTW java.util.ClassLoader#getResources used to be final. the unit tests
now require java 1.5 to compile. it is odd that that method is final
(which probably explains why it isn't in 1.5). i suspect (having looked
at the classloader written by craig and remy for tomcat 4) that it must
be reasonably safe (not to override it) provided that the rest of the
class is correctly coded.

- robert