commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dion Gillard <dion.gill...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jelly] distribution format
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2005 13:07:04 GMT
The real question is the various dependencies that go along with each taglib.

If you bundle:
xml taglib, to use it you need xalan 2.3.1.
ant taglib, to use it you need ant, ant-launcher and ant-junit 1.6.2
etc...

And I believe there are taglibs whose dependencies we can't
distribute, e.g. the mail taglib.

So....we have no taglibs on one extreme and 'all we are allowed' on the other.

What's a valuable compromise?

On 6/9/05, Paul Libbrecht <paul@activemath.org> wrote:

> It's somewhat unpractical to distribute a binary that's without
> taglibs, I believe.
> As we wish to release xml and ant taglibs at the same time, why not
> include both in the binary as well ? This is certainly partial but
> would be more practical I believe.
> Maven users don't download jelly, they download maven and invoke maven
> which, itself, downloads some taglibs.
>
> Including the taglibs: bean, define, dynabean, interaction, junit,
> swing, util, and fmt would barely extend the dependency set. If they're
> released, I'd wish we package them as well.
>
> The target pack-fat-jar in the maven.xml of the core does pack an
> amount more but that makes the whole jar pretty big: ant, bean,
> beanshell, betwixt, define, dynabean, fmt, html, http, interaction,
> junit, jsl, log, swing, threads, util, validate, velocity, xml,
> xmlunit.
>
> All this is for the binary distribution only to get someone jump
> started without the hassle of downloading many packages...
>
> paul
>
> PS: my first checks on the current tree are satisfactory. The only
> thing one cannot do with the source outside of jakarta-commons tree is
> build the docs which is known and probably acceptable.
>

> Le 9 juin 05, à 04:09, Brett Porter a écrit :
> > I don't believe any tag libraries (other than core) should be included
> > in the distro. They can be downloaded using Maven for those using
> > Jelly in that way, and anyone adding an additional library manually
> > will need to do the research to get its additional dependencies as we
> > can't distribute a lot of these.
> >
> > I'll prepare it based on feedback in about 24 hours, and put forward a
> > vote.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Brett

Bernard Shaw