commons-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Caswell <steven.casw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [lang] customizing the PMD report [WAS Re: added empty statement to empty catch blocks [WAS: svn commit: r202043 - in /jakarta/commons/proper/lang/trunk/src/java/org/apache/commons/lang: NumberUtils.java SerializationUtils.java enum/Enum.java enu
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2005 21:39:36 GMT
My reasoning behind using a semicolon is that this is the defined
statement in the Language Specification for denoting an empty
statement, and something that code checkers/syntax parsers/etc can
easily be told to look for. One syntax, no ambiguity. As opposed to
comments which are not the language-specified way to indicate an empty
statement, are ambiguous, and make it difficult for checkers to
discover.

On 6/29/05, Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> Steven Caswell wrote:
> > Actually, I was proposing to leave the ; in to mark the empty
> > statement (sorry I wasn't clear).
>
> I'd prefer not to have the ; if possible. It just looks and feels very
> odd, esp. when a comment would do logically.
>
> Stephen

Steven Caswell
steven.caswell@gmail.com

Take back the web - http://www.mozilla.org