commons-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Re: [Chain] adding EL support
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2005 18:12:17 GMT
>  The question I have if you make an optional library is how do you
>integrate the EL support in to the commands?  Would you do it within
>digester?  My initial thought was to take the core commands and add it
>command by command.  The optional library approach would reqire these
>commands to live outside the core as well.  Which may not be a bad
>thing either as currently the core project contains code specific to
>struts, jsf, and others.  But that is a whole other can of worms.

Yes, I think the idea would be that commands like LookupCommand
aren't really central; alternatively, there could be EL-enabled
alternatives outside the core, if it seemed to make sense to put some
very basic ones in the core.

Also, note that JEXL is a very small and very stable library, and I
have no objection myself to adding a dependency directly to it.

>I've never used JEXL, but method invocation sounds cool.  I have never
>had a case where I needed it, but it sounds cool anyway.  I will look
>at it before I go Creating any patches.

Oh, yes: the one other thing, if you're looking at it (and which
deserves some discussion): JEXL itself doesn't use any delimiters
like "${expression}"  I find that kind of awkward, and prefer the
delimiters which look more like other familiar EL environments.  We
might want to discuss whether we want to add a layer to expression
evaluation which finds those delimiters and only evaluates
expressions within them.  I have code which I use for this, although
it currently uses String.replaceAll which (a) means a Java 1.4
dependency and (b) which doesn't work when the replacement value has
a "$" in it -- a bug I just hit today but haven't had a chance to fix.

Anyway, gotta run; like I said, preparing for vacation and busy until I go...

joe

--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com