commons-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Re: [Chain] adding EL support
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:18:42 GMT
At 11:23 AM -0500 6/10/05, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
>I am working with a framework similar to chain at my day job.  One of
>the nice features of the framework I work with is that all of the core
>'commands' support EL Evaluation when they take in values.  This is
>something I would be interested in submitting a patch for if there is
>a hint of interest.

There's more than a hint; I've been using JEXL extensively with chain
in my day job, and have made suggestions to the list before that it
could be useful.  However, I am sensitive to the general sense that
dependencies should be added lightly.

Specifically, situations where you use the actual Chain context
itself as the Expression evaluation context (or at least its basis)
make a lot of cool things possible.

I'm about to leave for vacation for a week, but I think this is a
good general idea and would only want to see if other people have
strong feelings about the dependencies or the packaging.  (One
suggestion was that chain could have a secondary distribution
artifact, something like ant-optional.  Obviously that solves the
dependency question neatly, but it adds considerable management
overhead, and I simply haven't had time lately to set things up that
way.)

Anyway, if it comes down to using an expression library, I'd argue
for JEXL over commons-el because JEXL supports method invocation,
which is incredibly handy.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska