commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <dennis.lundb...@mdh.se>
Subject Re: [GUMP@vmgump]: Project commons-logging-step-1 (in module jakarta-commons) failed
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:50:29 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for a reason unknown to me (well, I didn't even try to find out) the
> compile-log4j12 target tries to compile Log4J13Logger and fails.
>
> Cheers
>
>         Stefan

I think this is because Gump uses it's own classpath and has not set up
the two ant-properties for log4j. Below is a snippet from build.xml for
commons-logging:

     <!-- compile the log4j1.2 support classes -->
     <javac srcdir="${source.home}"
            destdir="${build.home}/classes"
            debug="${compile.debug}"
            deprecation="${compile.deprecation}"
            optimize="${compile.optimize}"
            source="${source.version}"
            target="${target.version}">

       <classpath refid="compile.classpath"/>
       <classpath>
	<!--
         <pathelement refid="compile.classpath"/>
         <classpath refid="compile.classpath"/>
	-->
         <pathelement location="${log4j12.jar}"/>
       </classpath>

       <include name="org/apache/commons/logging/impl/Log4J12Logger.java"
                if="log4j12.present"/>
     </javac>

Notice the <include> element near the end. In the Gump build,
log4j12.present is not set so the include will fail. This can mean one
of two things:
1. The file Log4J12Logger.java will not be included
2. The <include> element will be ignored

It looks like 2. is happening according to the Gump log. It is trying to
compile all the files (2 of them) that were not compiled the first time
(i.e. "compile everything except Log4J classes"). I believe we should
remove the "if" attribute from the <include> element.

Sorry for not providing a patch, but svn.apache.org seems to be down at
the moment.

--
Dennis Lundberg