commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <heg...@med.uni-marburg.de>
Subject Re: [configuration] What about live-update of config data?
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2005 11:11:27 GMT
Oliver Zeigermann wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I was wondering if there is something like a live update for classes
> depending on configuration data that might change while the
> application is running?
>
> I was thinking of something like a registry mechanism where an object
> tells a central service that it depends on this and that property and
> gets a call back as soon as the property changes.
>
> Is there something like that in the configuration component? If not,
> would it be an option to include it in future releases?
>
> Thanks in advance and cheers
>
> Oliver

What we have thought about are observable configurations, i.e. you
register an event listener at a configuration and get then notified
about changes at properties. But there is nothing concrete yet.

Your suggestion goes a bit further by allowing a listener to exactly
specify in which events it is interested. I think this is a good idea
because typically not all portions of a configuration are important
enough to react on every change. If we had a generic event notification
mechanism, your registry could be implemented on top of that.

A similar point I had in mind is a combination of such an event
notification mechanism and our reloading facilities. If a reloading
strategy could be triggered (by some external sources) to periodically
check configuration files, it could send events whenever a change is
detected.

In short, I would like to see features like that in future releases of
commons-configuration.

Oliver