commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Diggory <mdigg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] 1.1 clirr report, backward compatibility
Date Sun, 12 Jun 2005 17:21:06 GMT
Sure this sounds fine for the current case.

Yet another idea. I notice that sometimes API's will use an abstract
"Adapter" strategy where those publishing a "standard" interface will
also provide an "Adapter" or default implementation with a stubbed out
implementation. Such an Adapter or "Stub" acts as a SPI for any third
parties implementing the API.

The power of this is that you can add methods into the Interface in
minor versions and implement "stubs" for them, then third party
implementations are still backwards/forwards compatible because they
inherit the stub. It is then the third parties job to move their
implementation forward by implementing the stubs.

For instance in our implementation of BigMatrix/Matrix, we would direct
the third parties not to implement these interfaces directly, but to
override the stub we provide as a backed SPI to the API.

Either way, have a good flight and we'll chat again later...
-Mark