commons-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <p...@activemath.org>
Subject Re: [jelly] distribution format
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2005 07:59:38 GMT

It's somewhat unpractical to distribute a binary that's without
taglibs, I believe.
As we wish to release xml and ant taglibs at the same time, why not
include both in the binary as well ? This is certainly partial but
would be more practical I believe.
Maven users don't download jelly, they download maven and invoke maven
which, itself, downloads some taglibs.

Including the taglibs: bean, define, dynabean, interaction, junit,
swing, util, and fmt would barely extend the dependency set. If they're
released, I'd wish we package them as well.

The target pack-fat-jar in the maven.xml of the core does pack an
amount more but that makes the whole jar pretty big: ant, bean,
beanshell, betwixt, define, dynabean, fmt, html, http, interaction,
junit, jsl, log, swing, threads, util, validate, velocity, xml,
xmlunit.

All this is for the binary distribution only to get someone jump
started without the hassle of downloading many packages...

paul

PS: my first checks on the current tree are satisfactory. The only
thing one cannot do with the source outside of jakarta-commons tree is
build the docs which is known and probably acceptable.