commons-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Jakarta-commons Wiki] Update of "MathFaq" by BrentWorden
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2005 14:47:30 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by BrentWorden:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/MathFaq

New page:
= Math FAQ =

A space for Commons-Math frequently asked questions.

=== 1. Are instances of org.apache.commons.math.stat.descriptive.DescriptiveStatisticsImpl
thread-safe? ===
No, they are not.  By design, we chose not to introduce thread semantics into the classes.
This allows the library to be used in environments were thread management by the application
is to be avoided.

=== 2. Can code derived from "Numerical Recipes" routines be included in commons-math? ===
Algorithms implemented in "Numerical Recipes" are [http://www.numerical-recipes.com/infotop.html#distinfo
licensed under terms] that are incompatible with the Apache license.  As such, commons-math
can not contain any code derived from these routines.  The precedent we have established is
to not allow any code developed using NR as a source and instead find alternate citations
for the algorithms detailed in NR.