commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [email] Someone on commons-email?
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2005 04:26:34 GMT
On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 10:24 -0300, Ramiro Pereira de Magalhaes wrote:

> Well, that's quite bad... :(
> Isn't anyone with "managing powers" interested in "pushing email towards
> a release"? I can checkout this project and start fixing anything by
> myself as (if) needed but this way I'll be working alone and in a
> "branch" that will probably be thrown away when the project start moving
> again...

Unfortunately it looks like no committer here has the spare time or
interest in email to help you out. And unfortunately that includes me
too.

You are perfectly entitled to take a copy of the code and start a
project on sourceforge (or elsewhere) as long as the license is complied
with (the easiest way to do that is just continue to use the APL 2.0
license). If you do this, then I would be happy to see a note on the
email project wiki pointing to the sourceforge branch.

If the sourceforge fork is successful (builds a community of a few
developers, has happy users) then there is every chance that the
maintainers of that project (esp. you) might be invited to become
commons committers and merge the code back in here -- if you wanted to.

Or as you say you could just maintain a private copy. That's still an
improvement over starting from nothing.

It's always a shame to see a commons project die because the original
committers went away when users actively want to become developers (not
to mention bad for jakarta's reputation). But unfortunately it also
takes some time and effort from existing commons committers to check
that potential contributors are actually people we do want to give
commit rights to and to allow to perform releases in Apache's name. And
unlike some open-source projects, there aren't any people paid to work
on commons AFAIK.

Regards,

Simon