commons-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <p...@activemath.org>
Subject Re: [math] FW: [interest in] SummerOfCode2005 "commons-math" project
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:33:44 GMT
Interesting.
I did not know of Krysalis Wings...
There's a difference between a graph plotter and a chart plotter: the
source data. To me a chart-plotter is fed by a bunch of numbers whereas
a graph-plotter is fed by a bunch of functions. From Krysalis Wings
site:

> Note
> "Charts" are what some office suites call "graphs". "Graphs", however,
> have an entirely different meaning in mathematics. Hence we prefer to
> use the term "charts".

You could say that "generating the numbers would be sufficient". It's
not.
A good graph plotter detects the cusps and other irregularities so that
it does not, for example, join -infty to +infty by a line like any
chart plotter would do. Caching the result for redraw (e.g. with good
Java 2D objects) might also be a challenge of a graph-component...

That characteristic is probably a very high requirement and is probably
the reason why it's mostly only found in more general purpose
computer-algebra-systems....

Rostyslav, does your plotter achieve this ?
(was it a graph-plotter or a chart-plotter?).

paul