commons-dev mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <>
Subject Re: Meta-issue: multiple mailig lists
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 06:54:38 GMT
On 5/10/05, Mattias J <> wrote:
> Simon Kitching wrote:
> [snip]
> Elliotte Harold wrote:
> >I suspect some of the less active lists may be so primarily because few
> >people care about those projects enough to wade through all the projects
> >they don't care about. Having separate lists might help the smaller
> >communities to grow a bit.
> That is a point. The volume of the dev-list might actually make people
> reluctant to subscribing to it at all.

On the other hand, I would assert that we commons-dev folks (including
me ... I +1'd this too) screwed up when we encouraged the
commons-httpclient developers to go form their own list to reduce the
traffic on commons-dev.  Fortunately for httpclient that wasn't fatal
to their community development efforts, but it illustrates one of the
intangible benefits of all the Commons projects sharing a common dev
and user list ... a primary resource for adding new interested parties
is people seeing messages for projects that they weren't originally
interested in, but a comment or two piqued their interest.

Put another way, a big part of the Apache culture is meritocracy --
and the ability of an individual to figure out how to use mail filters
to ignore dev list stuff they don't care about is a useful indicator
of cluefulness :-).

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message