commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Gary Gregory" <ggreg...@seagullsoftware.com>
Subject RE: [lang] checkstyle report
Date Wed, 25 May 2005 21:14:20 GMT
I agree with Steven.

Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Caswell [mailto:steven.caswell@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 2:11 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Developers List; skitching@apache.org
Subject: Re: [lang] checkstyle report

I propose that for the upcoming lang 2.1 release we leave the errors
unfixed
and leave the checkstyle report as is.

1. Leave them unfixed because the errors are all documentation-related,
and
while it is important to fix them, I don't believe the problems are
detrimental to the product. It has taken long enough to get the release
out
(and I take some of the blame for the slowness) and I don't believe it
is
worth delaying longer to make what I consider marginally useful fixes.
Unless someone gets to them before the final RC.

2. Leave the checkstyle report as is because the problems should be
fixed,
and I'm worried that if we hide them for this release then they'll be
forgotten. I'd rather take the time after the release to either fix them
or
hide them after appropriate discussion, which I believe should also not
hold
up the release.

Thoughts?

On 5/24/05, Simon Kitching <skitching@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've checked

http://people.apache.org/~stevencaswell/commons-lang-2.1/docs/checkstyle
-report.html
> and there is a massive number of checkstyle errors reported.
>
> I suggest you either fix them or turn off the checkstyle checks you
> don't want. Fixing the problem is probably better.
>

> By the way, I've struck a checkstyle problem when using it in the
> digester site. Despite project.properties having
>
> maven.checkstyle.properties=${basedir}/checkstyle.xml
>
> it doesn't look to me like the specified checkstyle.xml file is
actually
> being used. I can even change the contents to invalid xml and no error
> is reported.
>
> Lang has exactly the same setup for checkstyle reports. Does the
> checkstyle.xml file have any effect in lang?
>
> Regards,
>
> Simon

Steven Caswell
steven.caswell@gmail.com