commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mattias J <mattias.jiderh...@expertsystem.se>
Subject Re: Commons-Collections enhanced with Java Generics Support
Date Tue, 24 May 2005 15:52:57 GMT

>>In summary, I don't think the number of people interested in 1.5 features
>>will increase while Commons Collections developers just sit around waiting...
>Thats not fair.
>We do what we can and mostly in our free time. And its also your
>(contributor) job to push a project forward - for sure what you have done now.

Surely I didn't mean "...doing nothing", I just meant not supporting JDK
1.5 features until enough people are likely to want them.
My apologies if anybody was offended.

>But I wonder if we could let the jdk 1.3 behind us and move on to jdk 1.5
>by allowing backward compatiblity with retroweaver.

AFAIK generics is only a compile time feature, no type checking is done
during runtime, so a generics supporting JAR should be possible to use with
older JDKs.
I have not looked at the Collections API over at sf.net, but possibly other
things have changed to be able to add the generics support, which would
make this library behave differently than the original one, on an older JDK.

   /Mattias Jiderhamn