commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mattias J <mattias.jiderh...@expertsystem.se>
Subject Re: Commons-Collections enhanced with Java Generics Support
Date Tue, 24 May 2005 15:26:32 GMT
At 2005-05-24 17:11, Simon Kitching wrote:
>There is also the question of how large the generic collections
>community will be. There aren't yet a whole lot of projects coding to
>1.5 as far as I know.

Assuming this statement is true (which I am not too sure about), the fact
that many Open Source project do not yet support 1.5 features - like
generics - might actually be the reason people have not yet upgraded. Put
in another way; good and useful Open Source projects (like Jakarta Commons)
supporting JDK 1.5 may motivate more people to upgrade to JDK 1.5.

 From the other perspective, for those of us that *do* use JDK 1.5 (and
have done so for a while now...), the fact that Commons Collections does
not support generics may motivate us to use the standard java.util.*
collections, or some proprietary ones, instead.

In summary, I don't think the number of people interested in 1.5 features
will increase while Commons Collections developers just sit around waiting...

  /Mattias Jiderhamn