commons-dev mailing list archives

From John Watkinson <commons.10.pent...@spamgourmet.com>
Subject Commons-Collections enhanced with Java Generics Support
Date Mon, 23 May 2005 16:10:26 GMT
Dear Jakarta Commons developers,

We are pleased to announce that we have enhanced the Commons-Collections
with Java 1.5 generics support! We have the results hosted on SourceForge:

http://collections.sf.net

We have done our utmost to maintain the exact same functionality as
Collections 3.1. We have eliminated all deprecated classes that were
scheduled for removal in 4.0. Furthermore, we have deprecated all the
TypedXXX classes since they are made obsolete by generics.

The following classes were not converted, or were only partially converted:

- MultiMap and derivatives: MultiMap with generics breaks the
java.util.Map contract, so only partial conversion was possible.
- All TransformedXXX collections: These classes break the
java.util.Collection contract (or the java.util.Map contract, as
appropriate) once generics are added. They were not converted to support
generics at all.

We are considering adding MorphCollection, MorphMap, MorphSet, etc.
interfaces to support MultiMaps and TransformedXXX collections. These
interfaces would be the same as their non-morph counterparts, but
'getting' would be templated independently of 'setting/adding'. For
example, the MultiMap<K,V> interface would extend
MorphMap<K,V,Collection<V>>. However, this is a large step as it would
move these collections out from under the standard collection interfaces
defined in java.util. We welcome any suggestions regarding this.

The collections pass all the unit tests. We have released it as a beta,
but plan to move quickly towards a final release. We look forward to any
suggestions and feedback from the community.

Sincerely,

 Matt Hall and John Watkinson