commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Oxspring <roxspr...@imapmail.org>
Subject Re: [collections] TransformedCollection
Date Sun, 08 May 2005 19:06:47 GMT
Thanks James,

The latter scenario is exactly the one I keep finding myself in!  I
guess it's the naming that throws me - the collect() methods provide
what I'd expect of transformedCollection() under a name that seems
pretty abstract, whereas the implementation of transformedCollection()
seem more suited to a method called transformingCollection(), although
this could turn into a bike shed issue very quickly.

Seriously though, would it be reasonable to deprecate the collect()
methods in favour of something with 'transform' in the name? I'm not
sure what name to suggest but the word 'collect' might as well be
dropped as all CollectionUtils methods are implicitly about collecting :)

In the meantime, thanks for the pointer to the collect() family of
methods, I may well add some cross references in the javadocs between
these and the transformedCollection() method to try and avoid future
confusion.

Rob