commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Stansberry <bes_commons_...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [logging] LoadTest
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2005 06:16:04 GMT

--- Simon Kitching <skitching@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 17:59 +1200, Simon Kitching
> wrote:
> > The test doesn't set up its own clean classpath?!
> I thought that was
> > what the AppClassLoader private class was all
> about - though of course
> > it's hard to tell as there aren't any comments on
> it.

It's just used to create the child-first child
classloader -- doesn't affect the parent classpath.  I
think its trying to do a similar thing as the
ClassReloader in beanutils.

> > If the unit test doesn't properly set up a clean
> classpath before doing
> > classpath-related unit tests, then that really
> sucks.
> >
> > Ah well, I don't think any of us have enough
> enthusiasm to fix the unit
> > tests as well as the code. So however you get the
> test to run is ok by
> > me.
>
> Hmm. I just tried your patch to include LoadTest in
> TestAll. And the
> test LoadTest fails for me with some problem in the
> "reload" method.
> That's without having applied any of your patches,
> ie the current HEAD
> version of the test fails against the current HEAD
> version of JCL.

Strange.  I ran it against HEAD yesterday and it
worked, and just double checked and it still works.

> I suspect the reason the test isn't in the standard
> suite is that it has
> never actually worked properly at all. The custom
> ClassLoader user
> probably doesn't properly isolate the test from the
> surrounding
> environment meaning that the test will work for some
> people but not
> others (eg you, but not me).
>
> The subversion history shows that while license text
> etc. have been
> updated in it, no-one has actually committed a
> *meaningful* change to it
> since it was created at 2003-03-01.
>
> I might try to find time to have a look at this, but
> as the test was
> never part of the standard suite, I'm now generally
> in favour of just
> ignoring it.

Haven't looked carefully, but the tests using Wrapper
probably cover a lot of the same ground.

Brian