commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Stansberry <bes_commons_...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [logging] LoadTest
Date Tue, 31 May 2005 05:44:56 GMT

--- Simon Kitching <skitching@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-05-30 at 21:22 -0700, Brian Stansberry
> wrote:
> > I'm not sure if this is a flaw (maybe the child
> really
> > wanted jdk logging, and we're giving them log4j),
> but
> > basically we're discovering the log method made
> > available via the TCCL.
>
> I think that if log4j *can* be used, and we find it,
> then that is right.
> Autodiscovery is meant to find log4j before jdk14.
>
> And I'm not too bothered by discovering the "wrong"
> logging
> implementation anyway; users can always use a
> commons-logging.properties
> or a META-INF/services file to specify which logging
> lib they want if
> they really care.
>
> What's important is that the discovered logging lib
> *works* (doesn't
> throw an exception).

+1

> > In any case, I don't think we can test for jdk or
> > SimpleLog being discovered; we can only test if
> > logging worked.
>
> Isn't it possible for the test to do this?
>   if (running on jdk>= 1.4) {
>     assertEquals(logObject.getClass(),
>       "org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Jdk14Log");
>   } else {
>     assertEquals(logObject.getClass(),
>       "org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog");
>   }
>
> After all, that's stating what we expect - that in
> the setup used by
> this test, we get logger Jdk14 or SimpleLog, and not
> Log4JLog. The only
> tricky bit is that the unit test currently doesn't
> have access to the
> Log object created, so it may mean a bit of
> refactoring of the test
> code.

Sorry, wasn't clear about what I meant.  The test
classpath used in the ant build includes Log4j, so it
will be discovered (unless we create a special
classpath for this one test).  In any case, whether or
not a particular adapter is discovered depends on
what's on the test classpath.  We could have the test
analyze its classpath in order to determine what
should have been discovered, so I guess we *could*
test to see if the right one was discovered.

Brian