commons-dev mailing list archives

From Al Chou <hotfusion...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [math] FFT
Date Tue, 24 May 2005 04:54:48 GMT
Hi, Bear,

Thanks for your contributionary sentiment.  Unfortunately, we cannot accept
code based on _Numerical Recipes_, given their license.

--- Bear Giles <bgiles@coyotesong.com> wrote:
> Cleaning out some old files from a grad class.  I have one- and
> two-dimensional FFT code in C, ported to Java.  It's from the
> "Numerical Recipes" book so it's limited to 2^n.
>
> It needs unit tests and test cases.
>
> FFT begs the question of generalizing to Discrete Wavelet
> transformations (DWT).
>
> If I can find my notes I'll also be able to contribute multigrid
> code.  This is a fairly efficient algorithm to solve PDQs.  I'll
> leave it to others to add support for parallel- and
> clustered-processing.
>
> Bear

While this stuff is cool, I personally find myself having to hold back when I
think about adding this kind of material, given the project's charter of being
"a library of lightweight, self-contained mathematics and statistics
components addressing the most common practical problems not immediately
available in the Java programming language".

I think FFT's are so widely used (where they're used at all) that they're a
reasonable if not completely obvious candidate for inclusion in Commons-Math.
I'm not convinced that PDE solution algorithms are, though.

If the library were a full-fledged mathematical/scientific library, I would
have no hesitation at all about this material, I assure you.  Sorry to be a wet
blanket!

Al

Albert Davidson Chou