commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Colbert <mbcolb...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [logging] tech.xml - child-first classloading not considered harmful
Date Wed, 04 May 2005 19:30:16 GMT
> Isn't the term child-first a misnomer? A class loader can't be a child of
> itself? Can it?

Exactly my point, if you are looking from the perspective of the initiating
class loader.

> IMO, the term "parent-last" is an improvement over child-first,
> "parent-second" being even a little more precise.

Parent-second is indeed more accurate.  But that assumes searching children
would otherwise be an option for the second step, making searching the parent
the third (and last) step.  Maybe "local-first" is best.

Mike Colbert