commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [logging] detecting logging libs
Date Mon, 30 May 2005 03:11:26 GMT
Hi Brian,

On Sun, 2005-05-22 at 23:00 -0700, Brian Stansberry wrote:
> --- Simon Kitching <skitching@apache.org> wrote:
> >  * Brian: if Robert's ok with this (and no-one else
> >    votes -1), will you prepare an actual patch or
> > should I?
> >

> I'd be happy to.

Any progress on creating the patch?

NB: several small patches would be better than one big patch I think, ie
 * one patch to fix testing for loglib availability
 * one patch for treating failure to cast the result to Log as just
   unavailability of the lib rather than complete failure to init
   logging (as is currently done).
 * one patch for caching messages re inability to configure
   a discovered Log adapter for reporting later via another
   logger, as you suggested in one email.

Of course this assumes that it isn't overly complicated to create
independent patches for this.

> > By the way, Brian, are you an Apache committer?
> >

> No.

Well, I'm sure we can fix that if you wish! I think you'd be a great
addition to the commons community.

If you are interested, then the best time to propose a vote on this is
probably soon after committing a couple of patches provided by you..

Regards,

Simon