commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [beanutils] bugzilla blitz?
Date Thu, 26 May 2005 02:39:12 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Simon Kitching" <skitching@apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2005 3:16 AM

> Hi Niall,
>
> In general the patches we are applying are likely to be small; they are
> bugfixes for bugzilla reports not new features.
>
> So I wouldn't have thought that posting patches separately would be
> useful. After all, every subversion commit automatically generates a
> patch file that gets emailed to the list anyway. If someone queries the
> patch they see in a commit mail then we can talk about it and
> potentially back it out again.
>
> The commit-first approach would seem to save a large amount of time over
> posting a patch then waiting a few days to see if anyone comments on it.
>
> Obviously if the developer has any concerns about the patch they are
> applying then posting first is a good idea.

Yes you're right its not always necessary - its a judgement call. If a
change affects "backwards compatibility", it would be my preference to see
it discussed first.

> If you have filtering set up for beanutils mails, then I would recommend
> that you make sure that filter also picks up commit emails containing
> "commons/proper/beanutils" in the subject, so that you don't miss any
> commit emails.

I already see the beanutils commits.

> I would expect that when we roll a release candidate for beanutils we
> would run the struts unit tests using that beanutils RC jar to see if
> any problems occur. And likewise for digester. And for any other
> significant beanutils-using projects if someone tells me about them.
> Hopefully we will get a struts developer or two to join the beanutils
> maintenance (I've posted on dev@struts.apache.org), in which case that
> person could run beanutils HEAD during their struts development to pick
> up any problems.

I am also a struts committer.

> But I'm open to arguments on this...
>
> Regards,
>
> Simon

Niall

P.S. It is good to see you and James prepared to work on beanutils :-)