commons-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Re: [chain] [nag] Please commit stuff for DispatchChain
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2005 16:00:40 GMT
At 9:06 AM -0600 4/1/05, NetSQL wrote:
>Craig McClanahan wrote:
>>Personally, I'm leaning towards -0 (multiple "execute" methods per
>>chain seem to encourage the wrong behavior -- combining lots of
>>functionality into a single command versus splitting it up into fine
>>grained reusable chunks), but won't veto it if others think the
>>functionality is desireable.
>

>Mutiple methods is wrong.
>KISS!
>
>Single object should do single thing.

Well, I don't totally agree with this.  I'm a big advocate of
DispatchAction, and I didn't feel like I had the time to craft the
argument to Sean's assertion that if DispatchChain didn't belong then
DispatchAction didn't either.

On the other hand, this may be the best statement (or paraphrase, as
it were, since I don't have the original):
At 9:17 PM -0800 3/31/05, Martin Cooper wrote:
>Also, as William mentions, the lack of interchangeability is
>significant; you can't drop a regular command into such a chain and
>have it work, nor can you take one of these commands and drop it into
>a regular chain and expect the right thing to happen.

you can drop a DispatchCommand in anywhere, as long as you configure
it properly (and many commands need some external configuration.)

I still don't really have enough time to argue vociferously about it
either way....

Joe

--
Joe Germuska