commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: [i18n] Entry qualifier
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2005 07:38:08 GMT
Hi Daniel,

Daniel Florey wrote on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 9:24 AM:
[snip]
> My primary goal was to keep this component simple. It has no
> dependencies to other jars and that is a big plug for the
> daily use.

+1

This was the main reason I chose i18n. No deps, no new problems.

> Remember my thread about the missing ability in
> the java world to deal with different versions of the same
> class. So using digester/resources could cause a lot of
> trouble to bigger projects using a different version of these
> components. I know that we have some overlapping with Commons
> Resources, but the I18n is dealing with bundles of messages
> and introduces LocalizedExceptions using these bundles. As I
> needed this already in different projects seriously dealing
> with internationalization, personally I still think this
> component is reasonable.

I really liked this light-weight approach. I had a need of localized MBeanInfo (see contribution)
and with i18n's concept, I was able to write also just a little Bundle impl, that is based
on some conventions for the provided resources.

BTW: Just because I did not mension this in Bugzilla - the contribution does not have external
deps either. Onle the javadoc has a link to MBeanInfo, the code does use no JMX fucntionality
at all.

Regards,
Jörg