commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: [id] Composite identifiers
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2005 09:03:16 GMT
Hi Phil,

Phil Steitz wrote on Sunday, April 03, 2005 7:57 PM:

> Last night I added the "prefixed" identifier generators
> contributed by Michael Heuer in BZ 34254 (Thanks, Michael!).
> These made me think again of something that we discussed a
> while back: composite identifiers.  The prefixed identifiers
> could be viewed as composites of a "constant" identifier on
> the front followed by an alpha/alphanumeric.  (Admitedly a
> degenerate case, which is why I just added the classes as submitted.)
>
> I don't have immediate need for these things myself, but I am
> wondering if other people do. Composition could take the form
> of concatenation, hashing, or anything else that users want
> to do with results from a List of identifiers in the
> composite.  An abstract base class might provide access to
> the List and a cache of most recent constituent identifier results.
>
> Thoughts?

Just a short feedback. In one of my implementations I have use a prefix for one generated
id myself, and another id is a concatenation of a UUID with an additional id. Although both
situations can be solved with the existing commons-id functionality, special support for composite
ids might be deifnately handy.

- Jörg