commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject [id] Composite identifiers
Date Sun, 03 Apr 2005 17:56:47 GMT
Last night I added the "prefixed" identifier generators contributed by
Michael Heuer in BZ 34254 (Thanks, Michael!).  These made me think
again of something that we discussed a while back: composite
identifiers.  The prefixed identifiers could be viewed as composites
of a "constant" identifier on the front followed by an
alpha/alphanumeric.  (Admitedly a degenerate case, which is why I just
added the classes as submitted.)

I don't have immediate need for these things myself, but I am
wondering if other people do. Composition could take the form of
concatenation, hashing, or anything else that users want to do with
results from a List of identifiers in the composite.  An abstract base
class might provide access to the List and a cache of most recent
constituent identifier results.

Thoughts?

Phil