commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mattias J <mjsl...@expertsystem.se>
Subject Re: [i18n] Entry qualifier
Date Mon, 18 Apr 2005 09:29:01 GMT
At 2005-04-18 11:11, Daniel Florey wrote:
> > My though was to re-use the basename or id used when "installing"
> > ResourceBundle or XML providers. For example, after issuing
> >    ResourceBundleMessageProvider.install("errorMessages");
> > I would like to be able to qualify the newly installed messages with
> >    MessageBundle msg = new MessageBundle("errorMessages",
> "unexpectedError");
> > but also keep the existing alternative with
> >    MessageBundle msg = new MessageBundle("unexpectedError"); //
> > "unexpectedError" from any source
>
>Do you want this to be able to install different resources with the same
>message key or is it mainly because of implementation details (performance)?

Primarily multiple entries with same key, secondarily performance.

> > This may seem like a minor change at a first glance, but to also improve
> > performance my thought was to to change the MessageManager class from
> > holding a list of provider instances - which in turn can contain multiple
> > resources (and thus assumes one instance per provider class) - to
> holding a
> > Map from basename/id/namespace/qualifier to provider instance, where each
> > instance only contains a single resource (i.e. XML-file/ResourceBundle).
> > Though I planned on backwards compatibilty, by looping over the Map values
> > - instead of the List entries - in the current MessageManager.getText()
> method.
> > (Did I make myself clear?)
>
>I try my best to get your point...
>At the moment there is only one MessageProvider holding many resources.
>You want to change this to many MessageProviders holding one resource each
>in order to improve performance?

Yes. Instead of having to loop through the providers - catching exceptions
from those who do not contain the entry, which is quite costly performance
wise - and get the first match, I want to be able to point out the source
which I expect to hold the entry. But then again, todays behaviour should
be kept as the default behaviour when not using a basename/namespace
qualification.

>I currently don't have access to the sources as I'm on a project in Jordan

(You can browse them online,
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/i18n/xref/index.html is quite
easy to navigate)

>but as soon as I'm back home I'll try to have a closer look at this.

Should I try to create a patch suggestion which you could look at then?

>Always keep in mind that it should be very simple to use the component.

Sure. As I said, I intend to be backwards compatible with currenty usage.
Though possibly the installation of resources may look slightly different.

>Do you have sandbox commit access?

Nope.

   Mattias Jiderhamn