commons-dev mailing list archives

From Fernando Nasser <fnas...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Jakarta Commons Discovery
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2005 13:06:07 GMT
Hi Rory,

Rory Winston wrote:
> AFAIK, Discovery has been inactive for quite a while now. I dont know if you will find
any of the original developers still around, to be honest.

> What exactly needs to be done here? Would an easy solution just be to package up a Discovery-0.2-RC1
and make that .jar available?

There is a 0.2 already.

http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/commons/discovery/source/commons-discovery-0.2-src.tar.gz

However, this version has some bugs that prevents its use and people are
resorting to some CVS snapshots that contain the patches that fix the
bugs.  For instance, ObjectWeb JOnAS is using a snapshot dated 27-Mar-2004.

JPackage.org and all Linux distrubutions based on it build their
packages from sources, so what they are looking for is a

http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/commons/discovery/source/commons-discovery-0.3-src.tar.gz

(or 0.2.1) that contains the patches.

I believe ObjectWeb would also like to be able to download the .jar
directly and I believe it should also go into the maven repository if it
is being used by other Apache projects that have been mavenized.

Regards,
Fernando

> "Jakarta Commons Developers List" <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org> wrote:
>

>>Hi everyone,
>>
>>robert burrell donkin wrote:

>>>+1
>>>

>>OK

>> > i think that this is an issue that we should think about addressing.
>> > (hopefully, a discovery volunteer will jump in about now...)
>> >

>>It seems all discovery folks are busy with other things :-(
>>

>>>in the absence of discovery volunteers, i think that this is
>>>circumstance where we might consider seconding volunteers from other
>>>commons components onto discovery. (the traditional form would be to
>>>commit a change to the appropriate file and then wait for -1's.)
>>>

>>The bug in 0.2 makes it impossible to use and is creating a "de facto"
>>release out of untagged cvs code.  It would make sense going ahead with
>>your plan "B" and see if someone opposes and if somone from another
>>component pushes it out.  I do not have the necessary knowlwdge to do
>>it, otherwise I would offer to help.
>>

>>Regards to all,
>>Fernando

Fernando Nasser