commons-dev mailing list archives

From Neeme Praks <ne...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [net] FTP client date parsing: new format
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:19:08 GMT

Ok, now I've found out what is the issue: the regexp pattern used by
UnixFTPEntryParser assumes too much about the format of the date. In
particular, it assumes that there are spaces inside the date or
something like that. As I'm not much of a regexp expert, I cannot really
pinpoint the problem with the pattern. But I can demonstrate the results
from applying this pattern below.

This is the usual case that is parsed OK.
*entry*: -rw-r--r--    1 1000     1000           27 Jan 24 11:31
messages.vsp
parsed into these variables:
    typeStr=-
    hardLinkCount=1
    usr=1000
    grp=1000
    filesize=27
    datestr=Jan 24 11:31
    name=messages.vsp
    endtoken=

This is the one that has issues. Lucky for me, the parser manages to
"parse" the entries that represent symbolic links, as these entries seem
to have enough spaces required by the regexp pattern. Although
incorrectly, it nicely demonstrates the issue with the parser.
*entry*: lrwxrwxrwx   1 neeme neeme    23 2005-03-02 18:06 macros ->
../../../global/macros/
parsed into these variables:
    typeStr=l
    hardLinkCount=1
    usr=neeme
    grp=neeme
    filesize=23
    datestr=2005-03-02 18:06 macros
    name=->
    endtoken= ../../../global/macros/

Note that starting from datestr variable, the parsing is f**ked up...

How can we solve this issue?
Make regexp pattern also configurable? Better suggestions?

Rgds,
Neeme