commons-dev mailing list archives

From jgelb <jg...@pearsoncmg.com>
Subject DBCP maxActive does not set limit?
Date Fri, 08 Apr 2005 15:39:55 GMT
All:

Sorry if this is the wrong place -- I tried to check the archives first
and get the faq and info from the list itself, but none of that was
working, and I'm not finding anything via google (yet).

I'm seeing something that I don't understand when using DBCP in Tomcat
(5.0.27 and 5.0.28) and I was wondering if anyone familiar with the code
might be able to enlighten me.

Specifically, during load tests netstat is showing me that I have more
TCP connections in ESTABLISHED state than my maxActive settings --
sometimes -many- more.

In one test contrived to excercise the pool and nothing else, I set
maxActive to 50 and then ran through 20000 requests (70 simultaneous
requestors).  At one point I saw 198 connections to my database.

I understand that network connectivity doesn't necessarily correlate
directly to a database connection, but if the pool really is limiting
itself to maxActive connections, I don't understand why I'd ever see
more than maxActive established network connections.

Fwiw, observations were on redhat linux ES 3 (using 2.4.21 kernel?) and
a gentoo linux build using a 2.6.9 kernel, using oracle and postgres as
the backends.

Any insight or comments much appreciated.

-- jeff gelb