commons-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Cohen <sco...@javactivity.org>
Subject Is there an Apache or java standard for expressing non-English String literals
Date Thu, 07 Apr 2005 01:09:42 GMT
Neeme Praks wrote:

> Also, I noticed that your java sources are in some strange encoding. If
> I open those tests that use french letters in my Eclipse and save them
> then they become corrupt and will fail.
> My configuration assumes that all source files are in UTF8 and I think
> that should be the most reasonable assumption, no?

The files in question here are
org.apache.commons.net.ftp.parser.FTPTimestampParserImplTest.java
and
org.apache.commons.net.ftp.FTPClientConfig.java
in the jakarta-commons-net project.

Mr. Praks is correctly pointing out that my test code (and other source
code) depends sometimes on typing string literals in languages other
than English.  What is the CORRECT way to handle this in source code,
and what can I do to make editors such as Eclipse handle it correctly?