commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ortwin Glück <>
Subject Re: [httpclient] Jars in the repository
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2005 08:12:39 GMT

Martin Cooper wrote:
> Let's suppose for a minute that all Commons components stored their
> dependencies in SVN. And let's also suppose that they all required
> Commons Logging. We would have almost 90 copies of Commons Logging
> taking up space in the SVN repository. Even if only half of them use
> Commons Logging, that's still 45 copies. What's more, someone who
> checks out all of Commons is going to get all those copies of all
> those components taking up all their disk space, when all they really
> need is one copy of each.
> I don't know about you, but that seems like a really bad idea to me,
> and it's not going to make people happy when they discover they lost
> half their disk to dozens of copies of the same thing.
> --
> Martin Cooper

I agree that having several copies of the supposed same library can be
painful for someone who loves order, piece and happiness. Personally I
don't have a problem with those copies as they are all managed by
someone else and I don't need to worry about them. Space is not an
issue. Java code is small (Commons Logging is 31KB) and hard drives are
cheap. What you are talking about is just a matter of taste.

Ortwin Glück

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message