commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [httpclient] Jars in the repository
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2005 08:10:56 GMT
> Ortwin Gl├╝ck wrote:
 > Nobody needs Ant when there is Maven. Ant is legacy.
Lots of people, including me, disagree with this.
Lots of people, including me, find maven a pain to work with.
Ant support needs to be maintained

Its also the case that not all commons projects use maven for
everything. On [collections] I use maven for the website, but recommend
and fully maintain ant for building. It would simply not be practical to
attempt to do some of the things I do with ant in maven. Maven is not up
to the task.

My point is that simply because something new exists, does not
necessarily mean that it is better or should be used for everything.
IMHO, maven is great at building websites, and lousy at building jars
and distributions (in the way I want them to be built).

For httpclient, I don't mind if you use the maven ant plugin, or you
hand code the ant script (as collections does). Just don't store the
jars in the SVN.

Stephen