commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <dennis.lundb...@mdh.se>
Subject Re: [httpclient] Jars in the repository
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2005 18:56:31 GMT
Ortwin Gl├╝ck wrote:

> Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
>
>> Odi,
>>
>> I have not looked at the proposed solution, so I may be wrong here, but
>> I think it _should_ simply prepopulate the <HTTPCLIENT_HOME>\lib from an
>> external repository (such as ibiblio). If it is indeed the case I
>> personally see no problem with removing dependencies from SVN. I will
>> not insist, though
>>
>> Oleg
>

> Yes, that's what it does. Maybe that I am missing something, but I have
> no idea what should be the benefit of that.
>
> 1. The libs are in the repo for a *reason*: availability and
> convenience. If you remove them we loose this availability and
> convenience. Replacing them with a stupid download script makes thinks
> worse, not better.
>
> 2. We don't need an additional Ant target to download deps. It
> duplicates knowledge from the project.xml. I don't want to maintain
> knowledge twice. This is error prone. Remember we had out-of-date docs
> regarding deps recently? Maven can download the deps that are listed in
> project.xml. Nobody needs Ant when there is Maven. Ant is legacy. You
> could write a Maven goal to generate the Ant script from the
> project.xml. But this is stupid as can be, isn't it? As I said, all we
> need is Maven, not Ant.

The Maven Ant Plugin makes it easy to create an Ant build script from a
project.xml file. I made a patch for it to solve a problem [1] that
Craig had, that is somewhat related to this issue. A released version of
the plugin is not yet available, but a SNAPSHOT version (1.9-SNAPSHOT)
is available.

The patch makes it possible to have local copies of select jar-files.
All you need to do is create a build.properties file of your own and
point it to the your local copies of jar-files. If you don't supply a
build.properties file the jar-files will be downloaded from ibiblio or
whatever repository you have configured Maven to use.

I am not sure that this will work for httpclient, but it is a way to
benefit from both Ant and Maven without the need to define dependencies
twice.

Installation instructions for the SNAPSHOT version of the Ant plugin are
available [2] in the JIRA issue.

[1] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPANT-20
[2] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPANT-20#action_28915

--