commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ortwin Gl├╝ck <ortwin.glu...@nose.ch>
Subject Re: [httpclient] Jars in the repository
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2005 16:57:42 GMT

Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> Odi,
>
> I have not looked at the proposed solution, so I may be wrong here, but
> I think it _should_ simply prepopulate the <HTTPCLIENT_HOME>\lib from an
> external repository (such as ibiblio). If it is indeed the case I
> personally see no problem with removing dependencies from SVN. I will
> not insist, though
>
> Oleg

Yes, that's what it does. Maybe that I am missing something, but I have
no idea what should be the benefit of that.

1. The libs are in the repo for a *reason*: availability and
convenience. If you remove them we loose this availability and
convenience. Replacing them with a stupid download script makes thinks
worse, not better.

2. We don't need an additional Ant target to download deps. It
duplicates knowledge from the project.xml. I don't want to maintain
knowledge twice. This is error prone. Remember we had out-of-date docs
regarding deps recently? Maven can download the deps that are listed in
project.xml. Nobody needs Ant when there is Maven. Ant is legacy. You
could write a Maven goal to generate the Ant script from the
project.xml. But this is stupid as can be, isn't it? As I said, all we
need is Maven, not Ant.

3. If anybody of ASF has a problem with the libs being in the repo, we
can remove them today. Fine with me. There is no absolute need they are
there. (If you though they need to be there because your IDE requires
them in the project directory, you are wrong: Just look at Maven's
eclipse goal.)