commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ortwin Glück <ortwin.glu...@nose.ch>
Subject Re: [httpclient] Jars in the repository
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2005 16:13:41 GMT

James Mitchell wrote:
> There may or may not be such a document.  I'm not really interested in
> trying to be the "binary police".  I just noticed it while adding that
> project into my latest Eclipse development environment.

Asking questions is not a crime, fortunately. Not even in any US state
so far :-) If you come over one, just let me know.

> I don't really understand what you are saying here.  How can someone be
> "smart enough" to either download a source distribution or checkout the
> project via svn, but "too dumb" or "lazy" to just download the dependent
> jars seperately.  Sorry, that just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

It's not about smartness. But what are you gonna do if the dependend
file on ibilio is removed or ibiblio is having a downtime? Your stuffed
unless you have a local copy.

> You don't need Maven to use jars on ibiblio (or any one of the other
> repositories).  In fact, I just modified the Ant build script that
> builds the Struts 1.2.x nightlies.  The existing build.xml requires you
> to download and setup a build.properties that points to all the
> dependencies.  For me, it is a waste of my time.  Ant should be smart
> enough to do it for me.

I don't see the point. Maven can do that already perfectly. Copying the
knowledge about deps to the build.xml I consider a pitfal. We have all
learned in kindergarten to have knowledge in *one* place, haven't we :-0

>> I figure the JAR names should reflect the actual version of the
>> component, however.
>

> I agree.

Kind regards

Ortwin Glück