commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Idea: combine JCL 2.0 and UGLI in Logging Services' CL2
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2005 13:19:55 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 20:31:19 +0200, Simon Kitching <skitching@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>What happens when multiple independent webapps use j.u.logging?
>>Can each webapp have its own personal logging configuration file?
>>And if so, is logging correctly cleaned up when the webapp is undeployed?
>

> Yes, it should work ok. At the moment, it simply uses a weak hashmap,
> which I think should be enough.

Hmm.. beanutils and jcl have both tried to use a weak hashmap keyed by
classloader to store per-webapp data, and in both cases this has been
shown to result in a memory leak on undeploy. See the recent thread on
singletons etc. wrt beanutils and JCL.

>>>We'll see how well this works soon, as it is used to provide logging
>>>defaults in the new Tomcat build (the previous defaults were using
>>>java.util.logging as well, but with the default implementations, and
>>>consequently didn't do anything useful).
>>
>>I´ll just point out there are two quite independent logging concepts
>>here: logging of internal container details, and logging by webapp code.
>>
>>I´m quite sure you can use j.u.logging for Tomcat´s internal logging.
>

> No, I can't, the configuration is too restrictive, etc. That's what we
> were doing by default in previous Tomcat 5.5 releases.

Sorry, I meant using the j.u.util logging API from the code, but backed
by the JULI implementation.

>>Have you also looked into the issues relating to what happens when a
>>webapp uses j.u.logging API to log messages (or when some library that
>>app depends upon does so)?
>

> I'd recomend you look at it. Why do you think it would cause problems ?

Well, it is quite a tricky thing to get right when the logging
implementation classes are loaded via a classloader shared across
multiple webapps.

I will definitely have a look at the JULI code as soon as I am back from
holiday.

Regards,

Simon