commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Gary Gregory" <ggreg...@seagullsoftware.com>
Subject RE: [lang] return statements [was VOTE 2.1 release]
Date Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:17:55 GMT
Tell you what, let me wait to commit 'til tomorrow in case more folks
want to weigh in on Stephen's side and we feel this needs more
discussion. This is a minor issue, but what the hay, there no rush ;-)

Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Gregory [mailto:ggregory@seagullsoftware.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 4:05 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
Subject: RE: [lang] return statements [was VOTE 2.1 release]

Hello:

WRT "Sorry, see [collections] DEVELOPERS-GUIDE."

Should we create one for [lang]? IMHO, it seems that we can delegate to
the commons code style (Sun + tweaks), unless we think that we should
explicitly guide away from "return (expression);" I would prefer having
a consistent "return expression" in [lang] and not have a dev-guide note
for this.

WRT "The example should probably be a Boolean"

Indeed, this mistake surely comes from the initial Sun "let's make it
easy for C/C++ developers to learn Java" POV.

I'll have to agree to disagree with Stephen on the "return (expression)"
biz.

Since we've had an informal "-1 to return (foo) :)" from Henri, I'll
commit.

Gary