commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Stansberry <bes_commons_...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [logging] update docs to specify that java 1.1 is supported
Date Mon, 18 Apr 2005 05:12:46 GMT
--- robert burrell donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
<snip>

> this week, i plan to start getting things moving
> forward again from the
> analysis document i published. i'm taking a look at
> the patches tonight
> (thanks for them :)
>
> i'll pull together some results and take a look at
> listing the bugs.
> maybe i'll put them in bugzilla so that folks can
> contributing patches
> more easily and so discussion is automatically tied
> together. i have
> hopes that many of these can be fixed (and fixed
> without too much
> trouble).
>
> there are also a couple of other tasks on my list.
>
> i now think that a build which creates just an impl
> jar is required to
> support at least one use case. anyone want to grab
> this task?

Sure, I can do that.  You want patches for the 1.0.5
branch as well as trunk, or just trunk?

I'm concerned about the memory leak problem with the
impl jar, but it looks like truly solving that will
have to wait for the addition of something like
Simon's ContextClassLoaderLocal to the JDK.  (BTW, any
news on that?)

I also owe a patch to the user guide discussing best
practices re not caching Log in a static field.  If no
one objects, I can also include comments on JDK 1.1
support.

Should be able to do these in the next few evenings.

Brian