commons-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mfncoo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [httpclient] Jars in the repository
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2005 20:04:49 GMT
On Apr 5, 2005 9:57 AM, Ortwin Gl├╝ck <ortwin.glueck@nose.ch> wrote:

> Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> > Odi,
> >
> > I have not looked at the proposed solution, so I may be wrong here, but
> > I think it _should_ simply prepopulate the <HTTPCLIENT_HOME>\lib from an
> > external repository (such as ibiblio). If it is indeed the case I
> > personally see no problem with removing dependencies from SVN. I will
> > not insist, though
> >
> > Oleg
>
> Yes, that's what it does. Maybe that I am missing something, but I have
> no idea what should be the benefit of that.

Let's suppose for a minute that all Commons components stored their
dependencies in SVN. And let's also suppose that they all required
Commons Logging. We would have almost 90 copies of Commons Logging
taking up space in the SVN repository. Even if only half of them use
Commons Logging, that's still 45 copies. What's more, someone who
checks out all of Commons is going to get all those copies of all
those components taking up all their disk space, when all they really
need is one copy of each.

I don't know about you, but that seems like a really bad idea to me,
and it's not going to make people happy when they discover they lost
half their disk to dozens of copies of the same thing.

--
Martin Cooper