commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel Florey" <>
Subject RE: [i18n] Entry qualifier
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2005 09:46:50 GMT
"Jakarta Commons Developers List" <> schrieb am 20.04.05
> Hi Daniel,
> Daniel Florey wrote on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 9:24 AM:
> [snip]
> > My primary goal was to keep this component simple. It has no
> > dependencies to other jars and that is a big plug for the
> > daily use.
> +1
> This was the main reason I chose i18n. No deps, no new problems.
> > Remember my thread about the missing ability in
> > the java world to deal with different versions of the same
> > class. So using digester/resources could cause a lot of
> > trouble to bigger projects using a different version of these
> > components. I know that we have some overlapping with Commons
> > Resources, but the I18n is dealing with bundles of messages
> > and introduces LocalizedExceptions using these bundles. As I
> > needed this already in different projects seriously dealing
> > with internationalization, personally I still think this
> > component is reasonable.
> I really liked this light-weight approach. I had a need of localized MBeanInfo (see contribution)
and with i18n's concept, I was able to write also just a little Bundle impl, that is based
on some conventions for the provided resources.

This looks really usefull to me.
Shall we add an i18n-contrib.jar that contains all the optional extensions? I'd like to keep
the core i18n.jar as small as possible...

> BTW: Just because I did not mension this in Bugzilla - the contribution does not have
external deps either. Onle the javadoc has a link to MBeanInfo, the code does use no JMX fucntionality
at all.