commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel Florey" <daniel.flo...@web.de>
Subject Re: [i18n] Entry qualifier
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2005 07:23:45 GMT
"Jakarta Commons Developers List" <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org> schrieb am 19.04.05
21:34:01:

> LocalizedExceptionExample (and subsequent property files) look like good
> candidates for src/test.
>
> Also, someone might want to commit the missing files that make this class
> work/load properly.  I seem to be missing some property files (that are used
> internally).

I'll have a look at this next week (when I'm back home). Did i miss to check in some files?
Shame on me...

> What's the status of this project?  I recall some discussion a while back
> about i18n, but don't remember the specifics?  Are there any design or
> architecture docs available?

This component is so tiny that the javadoc should be pretty self explaining. But I agree that
we might need to add some more documentation (tutorials).

> Seems like i18n is reinventing the wheel over and over.  I see we are using
> of Sax, when Digester is the most viable choice, given the typical clients
> of this framework.  I see where ResourceBundle is used, yet a much more
> robust solution is already provided through Commons Resources.  Any chance
> we can change this to use the above frameworks?

My primary goal was to keep this component simple. It has no dependencies to other jars and
that is a big plug for the daily use.
Remember my thread about the missing ability in the java world to deal with different versions
of the same class. So using digester/resources could cause a lot of trouble to bigger projects
using a different version of these components.
I know that we have some overlapping with Commons Resources, but the I18n is dealing with
bundles of messages and introduces LocalizedExceptions using these bundles. As I needed this
already in different projects seriously dealing with internationalization, personally I still
think this component is reasonable.

Cheers,
Daniel