commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [httpclient] Jars in the repository
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2005 18:08:46 GMT
On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 18:57 +0200, Ortwin Gl├╝ck wrote:

> Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> > Odi,
> >
> > I have not looked at the proposed solution, so I may be wrong here, but
> > I think it _should_ simply prepopulate the <HTTPCLIENT_HOME>\lib from an
> > external repository (such as ibiblio). If it is indeed the case I
> > personally see no problem with removing dependencies from SVN. I will
> > not insist, though
> >
> > Oleg
>
> Yes, that's what it does. Maybe that I am missing something, but I have
> no idea what should be the benefit of that.

Explicit dependency management for one (for those who prefer Ant to
Maven, like myself).

> 1. The libs are in the repo for a *reason*: availability and
> convenience. If you remove them we loose this availability and
> convenience. Replacing them with a stupid download script makes thinks
> worse, not better.

I see it differently, but as far as I am concerned this whole thing is a
non-issue. Should James decide to submit a patch, I _personally_ will be
quite happy to vote +1 for it. At the same time, I'll have no problems
of what so ever to move on, should you veto it with -1.

> 2. We don't need an additional Ant target to download deps. It
> duplicates knowledge from the project.xml. I don't want to maintain
> knowledge twice. This is error prone. Remember we had out-of-date docs
> regarding deps recently? Maven can download the deps that are listed in
> project.xml. Nobody needs Ant when there is Maven.

[quietly and humbly] I do. For such a simple-minded person like me,
every Maven deployment should come with Dion included. [ducking and
hiding]

Anyways, I would rather see all this time and efforts spent on Jakarta
Http(Client) API redesign

Oleg